步子百科步子百科

England什么意思(英语习语中的国家名字)

英语中有不少习语含有国家的意思英语名字,却有着意想不到的习语意思,如Dutch uncle(动辄训人的名字人),Indian sign(不详的意思英语人或物)……

是不是觉得很有意思呢,一起来看看吧!习语

1. It's all Greek to me

当我们不理解看到的名字或听到的某件事时,可以使用这句表达。意思英语

e.g. I recently read this book on Metaphysics. Did you understand it, because it was all Greek to me.

我最近看了这本关于玄学的习语书,你看懂了吗,名字因为我完全看不懂。意思英语

2. Go Dutch

我们用这个习语表示去餐馆并且各自结账(AA)。习语

e.g. Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch.

瑞秋不喜欢男伴请客,名字她喜欢各付各的意思英语。

3. Chinese Whispers (UK)

这个习语通常比喻因为谣言而产生的习语错误或不准确的信息。

e.g. All this talk about the Prime Minister resigning is just Chinese Whispers.

关于首相辞职的名字谣言纯属无中生有。

4. Talk for England

这个习语指的是某人可以长篇大论讲很久。

e.g. I'm so sorry I'm late. I couldn't get away from Linda. She can talk for England!

抱歉我迟到了。琳达太能讲了,我实在脱不开身。

5. Dutch Courage

这个习语用在你需要一点酒来壮胆做某事的时候。

e.g. I think I'll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me.

我觉得邀请那个女孩和我跳舞之前我应该喝点酒壮胆。

6. Pardon My French (UK)

在我们说了粗鲁的话,比如脏话之前或之后,可以用这句。

e.g. Who the fuck do you think you are...pardon my French.

你以为你是什么东西……不好意思我骂人了。

7. A Mexican Standoff

这句话通常用在谈生意的时候双方未能达成一致。

e.g. There appears to be a Mexican Standoff as neither party can agree on the terms of the merger.

显然双方未能达成一致,在合并条款上仍存在争执。

8. Indian Summer (UK)

秋天快要结束的时候,天气比较暖和的那段时间。

e.g. Much as I love this Indian Summer, I wish we had this warm weather in the summer rather than in October.

尽管我很喜欢秋末温暖的天气,我更希望夏天也能有这个温度而不是十月份。

9. Slow Boat to China

这句习语用来描述做某件事需要花费很长的时间。

e.g. Waiting for the architects to produce their plans was like taking the slow boat to China.

等待建筑师们的设计计划需要花费很长时间。

10. Too Many Chiefs and Not Enough Indians

这句话指的是公司里有太多经理而真正干活的人很少。

e.g. The trouble with that company is that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

那家公司的问题是经理太多而真正干活的人很少。